Monday 13 February 2012

Three days off, busy hands and finding out what it's worth.

Three days off, busy hands and finding out what it's worth.


This is my second post and despite being disappointed no one else has read it except myself, I have decided to keep plodding on. That's right you don't get rid of me that easily!
Hummingbird
The last couple of weeks I have fallen totally in love with wool felt, I bought myself some extra thick wool felt from http://www.bloomingfelt.co.uk/. Having three glorious days off work gave me some free time so I settled down to some serious sewing. I started  using it to make brooches, starting with some cute (if I do say so myself) little birds. I particularly love my Bye Bye Blackbird monochrome brooch and was extremely happy to sell two as soon as I had made them :)
Folk bird
Bye Bye Blackbird




 Moving quickly on after a burst of inspiration to sugar skulls, my interpretation of the decorations used to celebrate Día de Muertos  (Day of the dead). And while I realise skulls are not everyone's idea of something they want to wear I hope it will appeal to some other people and not just me ! 
muerte roja
muerte amarilla
muerte blanca


They are very time intensive to make, each one taking around 3 hours from start to finish, yet I still found myself struggling when trying to decide a price. Obviously I include the cost of  materials but find myself struggling to put a price on my time, and I was wondering if


it was just me? Do we undervalue our talent? I think being British it is in our nature to be modest, and I know that's a blanket statement, but I also know in my family bragging wasn't encouraged. For me to say look at what I made don't you think it's great would have been frowned on, in fact I phoned my Mom recently and spoke about a hat I had knitted and sold, her first words weren't well done, they were I hope it doesn't come apart !


So what do we think? Should we value our creativity and time more? Why do we feel cheeky putting a price on things we have made or is it just that underlying doubt in our abilities? 


Sam x



2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous work, beautifully photographed and a jolly happy blog, such fun to read! I am now an official follower and look forward to reading more, good luck with your blog! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete